THE CANADA 150 BURGER
As you get ready for Canada’s 150th birthday, you must be wondering how to really commemorate this occasion. The spirit of being Canadian is togetherness and what better way to bring everyone together than to indulge in the perfect Canada Day burger.
This recipe is guaranteed to make you look like a pro.
“Preparing this patriotic burger is sure to draw a crowd,” says Tom Filippou, executive chef for President’s Choice cooking school. “The Canadian burger bun with Montreal steak seasoning pairs with a maple-leaf shaped burger for the perfect combination. Top it off with a tangy Thousand Islands-style dressing for a colourful barbecue staple all season long.”
Canada Day Burgers with Thousand Island Sauce
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
- 1/2 shallot, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup PC Sriracha Tomato Ketchup
- 1/4 cup baby dill pickles with garlic, drained and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 frozen PC Our Great Canadian Thick & Juicy Maple Leaf Beef Burgers
- 1/2 red onion, cut into half-inch (1 cm) thick rounds
- 4 PC Canadian Burger Buns, split
- 2 leaves Boston lettuce, halved
- 2 PC Flavour Burst Tomato of Yore Beefsteak Tomatoes, sliced
- 4 slices zesty garlic deli-sliced dill pickles (optional)
- Preheat barbecue to medium heat.
- Stir together shallot, mayonnaise, ketchup, baby dill pickles, lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce in small bowl. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Place frozen burgers on greased grill; close lid. Cook, turning once, until instant-read thermometer reads 160°F (71°C) when inserted sideways into burgers; about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place red onion on greased grill and close lid. Cook, turning once, until grill-marked; about 6 to 8 minutes. Place buns, cut sides down, on greased grill and close lid. Cook until light golden; about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Divide lettuce among bottom halves of buns. Top with burgers, shallot mixture, red onion, tomatoes and sliced dill pickles (if using), dividing evenly. Sandwich with top halves of buns.
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 750; fat 51 g (14 g of which is saturated); sodium 1,070 mg; carbohydrates 46 g; fibre 5 g; sugars 9 g; protein 30 g.
SOURCE: News Canada