Food and beverage choices have an impact on a person’s oral and overall health. Did you know that foods high in sugar or acid can lead to an erosion of tooth enamel and contribute to tooth decay?
Keeping your teeth and mouth healthy requires more than just daily brushing, flossing, and rinsing. Dental hygienists remind us to maintain a balanced and nutritious diet so that teeth and gums receive the nutrients that are essential to resisting oral diseases. As your “partners in prevention,” dental hygienists offer simple tips to keep your mouth and body healthy:
• Make water your beverage of choice.
• Eat foods from all four food groups.
• Avoid sugary snacks, carbonated beverages, and chewy, sticky foods.
• Brush twice a day for two minutes each time.
• Clean between your teeth and use an antiseptic mouthwash daily.
During a regular checkup, ask your dental hygienist to identify healthy food and beverage choices so that your smile remains bright for a lifetime. Additional tips and information are available online at www.dentalhygienecanada.ca.
Source: NewsCanada www.newscanada.com