High-fibre lentils and protein-packed peanuts make this salad a great choice for both your taste buds and your health. Make this recipe your own by adding in other seasonal fruits and vegetables, or a sprinkling of crumbled feta cheese.
‘Peanuts and Pulses’ Summer Salad
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 16 minutes
Makes: 4 to 6 servings
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dried green lentils
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) peanut butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) peanut oil
- 4 cups (1 L) baby arugula
- 1 cup (250 mL) colourful cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 ripe peaches, or 1 mango pitted and peeled, cut into small bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) carrot, coarsely grated
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced diagonally
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) mint leaves, torn
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) peanuts, chopped
- In a large saucepan, bring 1¾ cup (425 mL) salted water to a boil. Meanwhile, rinse lentils in a colander. Add lentils to boiling water, cover and simmer gently 15 to 18 minutes, or until tender but not mushy. Drain well and rinse under cold water to cool, then pat dry.
- In a small bowl, whisk lemon juice with peanut butter, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Add peanut oil and whisk until combined.
- Place arugula, tomatoes, peaches or mango, carrot and green onion in a salad bowl, and top with cooled lentils. Toss with salad dressing. Garnish with mint and peanuts.
Additional recipes can be found at www.peanutbureau.ca.
Source: News Canada