This is such a popular recipe in India, that I’m so glad that my friend Sheela was able to share this with me. I’m fascinated to see ingredients like onions and coriander cooked in different ways in the same prep. Traditionally it’s prepared in a large round skillet or tava. You can easily create this at home in a large skillet or frying pan.
2 pounds chicken thighs (dark meat) cut into 1 inch strips
1.5 tbsps Tandoori Masala
1.5 tbsps Ginger & Garlic paste
3 large sliced red onions
4 tbsps chopped coriander
3 green chilies finely chopped
3 green chilies sliced
Pinch of turmeric powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp ginger paste
2 Roma tomatoes
Pinch of clove powder
Pinch of cinnamon powder
5 tbsps oil
- Marinate the chicken overnight in the tandoori masala with the ginger and garlic paste, salt and pepper.
- In a large heated tava, pan or skillet, add the oil and then half the sliced onions.
- Add 2 tbsps of the chopped coriander and fry well.
- Add the chicken and cook for at least 10 – 15 mins.
- Add the turmeric, coriander and chili powder and stir frequently.
- Make a well in the centre of the chicken and add the tomatoes and cook for a few minutes till the tomatoes are soft before mixing them into the chicken.
- Add the sliced green chilies and the remainder of the onion.
- Add the rest of the chopped coriander.
- Finally sprinkle with clove and cinnamon powder.
For more recipes go to kravingsblog.ca
Watch the step by step video – http://bit.ly/TavaChickenVideo
Photo by Adam Ahmed