Love rich creamy desserts but hate the extra pounds they put on your body? Using Avocados in your sweet treats, keeps the lush velvety texture but takes out the calories from dairy while adding healthy fat, vitamins and protein. Here are two terrific recipes from Avocados from Mexico.
Avocado Cheesecake Served In Glass Jars
This pretty dessert offers a tasty twist on a classic post-dinner treat
For the avocado mixture:
2/3 cup sugar
2 x 250 gr packages of cream cheese
1 ripe Avocado from Mexico
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 gelatine leaf soaked in cold water
For the crust:
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 tablespoon sugar
45 ml unsalted butter, melted
*makes 8 servings
1. Mix all of the crust ingredients together.
2. Divide the mixture into the glass jars and press down firmly. Place the jars in the refrigerator while you prepare the other ingredients.
3. In a food processor, blend the sugar, cream cheese and avocado into a smooth purée.
4. Warm the lime juice in the microwave. Add the gelatine leaf and mix well. Whip into the avocado mixture and pour into the glass jars.
5. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
CHEF’S TIP: This cake keeps very well in the freezer. It can therefore be made in advance and thawed gradually in the refrigerator a few hours prior to serving.
Recipe by Laurent Godbout
Avocado Tropical Chocolate Pie
A slice of this decadent dessert will satisfy any sweet lover
1 Avocado from Mexico halved, pitted, peeled and diced
12 g semisweet chocolate chips melted
1/4 teaspoon soy milk
1 ml vanilla extract
1 ready-to-use graham cracker pie crust
Coconut Syrup Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup sweetened coconut flakes
1/2 cup water
1. In a blender or food processor, place avocado, chocolate, milk and vanilla.
2. Cover and whirl until smooth; pour into pie shell and cover lightly; refrigerate overnight.
3. Serve with Coconut Syrup.
Coconut Syrup Recipe: In saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar, sweetened coconut flakes and water.
Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes; cool.