6 Places to Volunteer this Holiday Season
While this time of the year is known for gathering family and friends, exchanging presents and enjoying good food and drink, it is also an important time to be thankful for all we have and pass on good to others who have less. It’s the ideal time to practice generosity and start giving back. While many donate money, a lot of great organizations would prefer some of your actual time and elbow grease.
Here is a list of Greater-Toronto-Area organizations to volunteer your time this holiday season and throughout the year:
- Central Neighbourhood House has a rich history of serving Toronto for the past 104 years, offering a wide range of excellent programs for children and youth, new Canadians, families, women and seniors. They are currently seeking volunteers to fill the role of Friendly Holiday Visitor Gift Delivery to ensure all clients, especially those lacking mobility and living alone, are remembered this time of the year. Call Chris at 416-925-4363 ext 207 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- StepStones for Youth is currently seeking volunteer gift wrappers to contribute a few hours at their holiday gift-wrap station at Vaughan Mill Shopping Centre. Vaughan Mills has agreed to pay for all the gift-wrap supplies, so StepStones is seeking a few crafty volunteers to wrap the gifts. All proceeds go directly to StepStones. To sign up for training and volunteer shifts, go to: https://www.kindnessconnect.com/stepstones/giftwrap/.
- Scarborough Centre for Healthy Communities has been at the forefront of delivery multiple community health services to diverse communities, including special programs designed for South Asians. Volunteers play a significant role in the success of the organization all-year round, filling vital roles like the delivery of meals, accompanying clients to their medical appointments, participating in major events and provide administrative support. Call the Coordinator of Volunteer Services to schedule an interview at 416-847-4127 or email: email@example.com
- Dixon Hall Neighbourhood Services is looking for Holiday Meals on Wheels Driver and Runners to deliver to seniors and adults living with disabilities in east downtown Toronto. Volunteers deliver a hot lunch to those who are unable to access a hot, nutritious lunch on their own from 11:00am – 1:30pm. Dixon Hall provides year-round support through various programs including employment services, housing and homelessness services and neighbourhood services. A variety of date options are available foe help with meals, contact the Volunteer Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 416-962-9449 ext 225.
- Evergreen is a perfect fit for someone who enjoys the outdoors this time of the year. They are currently seeking Skating Rink Assistants and Skating Rink Ambassadors to help with tasks such as rink monitoring, ensuring skaters and spectators are safe and abiding the rules, skate fittings and greeting visitors. Located on Bayview Avenue in Toronto, this space creates a unique green and well-manicured place that is accessible to all to enjoy year-round.
- The Mississauga Food Bank is seeking several volunteers to help them prepare for this busy time of the year. These roles can be Volunteer Driver, Driver’s Assistant and Warehouse Volunteers. By fighting hunger, the Mississauga Food Bank supports the 15% of Mississauga residents that are living in poverty and without access to proper meals. Visit http://www.themississaugafoodbank.org/holiday-volunteer-opportunities/ to support their mission.