There’s nothing quite like a glorious summer day spent dining outdoors and cooking up a classic burger over the barbecue. Taste the season with these ultimate egg-stuffed Portobello mushroom burgers, which provide a modern and mouth-watering twist on an old favourite and are perfect for this summer’s family adventures.
Ideal for vegetarians and high in protein, they’re great for a quick bite while at the cottage, a brunch staple on your staycation or even a delicious dinner on a camping trip.
Egg-Stuffed Portobello Mushroom Burgers
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
- 4 Portobello mushrooms
- 1 red onion, sliced in quarter-inch rounds
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 250 mL Egg Creations Whole Eggs Mushroom and Spinach
- 4 slices Swiss or mozzarella cheese
- 4 hamburger buns
- 2 cups arugula
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- Remove mushroom stems and scrape out black ribs from inside the caps; this recipe works best with mushrooms that have exaggerated curved caps, as this helps keep the egg mixture in.
- Brush mushrooms and onion slices with olive oil, then place them on the grill at 350⁰F. Fill each mushroom with 60 mL Egg Creations and cook until the eggs set.
- Melt cheese over each mushroom and toast buns until golden.
- Divide arugula among buns, add mushrooms and onions, and finish with mayonnaise.
Tip: Egg Creations make for the perfect camping trip essential because you can freeze the carton and use it as an icepack in your cooler.
SOURCE: News Canada