10 things to do with a can of beans
With canned beans in your pantry, the culinary possibilities are endless. Here are ten easy ways to incorporate this nutritious and budget-friendly staple into your diet.
- Add a handful of black beans to your usual pizza toppings.
- Add 1 cup (250 mL) of your favourite beans to spaghetti sauce instead of ground beef. This lowers the fat and increases the fibre.
- Add beans to quesadillas along with other fillings you enjoy.
- Mix 1/2 cup (125 mL) of black beans into 1 cup (250 mL) of your favourite salsa. Add some chopped cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice for an easy party dip.
- Include 1 cup (250 mL) of your favourite beans to any salad for a different twist.
- Include 1/3 cup (75 mL) of black, white or Romano beans with an omelette to add protein and fibre.
- Add 1/2 cup of beans to soups to increase the protein.
- Add 1 cup (250 mL) of beans to 3 cups (750 mL) of rice to make a tasty, complete protein.
- Blend a 19 oz (540 mL) can of black or white beans, 1/2 cup (125 mL) ranch dressing, 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cumin and 2 cloves of garlic to make a five minute dip.
- Mix cornmeal, mashed white beans, brown rice and sunflower seeds together to make bean burger patties.
Find more information and great recipes online at ontariobeans.on.ca.
SOURCE: News Canada