With the sunshine out, and outdoor activities in full swing, we are all looking for quick and easy meals that limit our time in the kitchen. The good news is that you can put flavourful meals on the table in 15 minutes, thanks to spices that most of us already have in the pantry and Minute Rice ready to serve rice cups.
Middle Eastern Rice with Spiced Chicken and Chickpeas
• 4 (125 g each) Minute Rice Cups Ready to Serve Long Grain & Wild Rice – Fine Herb
• 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
• 1 lb (500 g) ground chicken
• 2 tsp (10 mL) paprika
• 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
• 1 tsp (5 mL) ground coriander
• 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
• 1 cup (250 mL) canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
• 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) diced tomatoes
• 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh parsley
Step 1: Cook rice according to package directions.
Step 2: Meanwhile, in large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; cook chicken, paprika, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper, stirring, for 5 to 8 minutes or until chicken is browned.
Step 3: Stir in chickpeas and tomatoes; bring to simmer. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly. Serve with rice. Sprinkle with parsley.
Tip: For a vegetarian option, replace chicken with ground tofu.
Nutrition Facts. Per 1/4 recipe: Calories 530, Fat 22g, Cholesterol 65mg, Sodium 960mg, Carbohydrate 56g, Fibre 5g, Sugars 4g, Protein 28g
For simple 1+1+1 meal ideas and inspiration, visit Thirdoftheway.ca or share your #weekdaywin on social media to inspire others.